Amanda-Users

Re: Disk & tape backup (was: RE: rait output driver)

2003-06-04 22:06:45
Subject: Re: Disk & tape backup (was: RE: rait output driver)
From: rwk AT americom DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 5 Jun 2003 02:05:29 -0000
> > Some time ago I have tried to configure something similar with the
> > rait driver. I wanted to have backups going to an online disk, for
> > onsite fast recovery, and to tape for off-site and longer
> > term historic storage.
>
> This idea seems to come up on a regular basis, and I know I'd love
> to have the functionality.  Since amrestore can work from backups
> on the holding disk, wouldn't it make sense to allow Amanda to be
> configured so that data is only deleted from the holding area when
> it needs the space for the current backup?  Or is that just lazy, and
> I should go learn about RAIT and the 'file' driver?

I think this can be accomplished by configuring amanda with no holding
disk and using a disk file as one of the rait devices, though I have not
yet tried it.

I would be interested to know how data is written to the rait devices
(with and without a holding disk).

If there is no holding disk, are writes done one block at a time to each
device round-robin?  With a holding disk, are the dumps writted one file
at a time to each device?

Dick