Amanda-Users

Re: rait output driver

2003-06-04 12:14:20
Subject: Re: rait output driver
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:12:30 -0400
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:35:27AM -0400, Milos Brkic wrote:
>  Some time ago I have tried to configure something similar with the
> rait driver. I wanted to have backups going to an online disk, for
> onsite fast recovery, and to tape for off-site and longer term historic
> storage. I could not get the rait to do it properly to tape and disk, so
> I ended up with the following config, that I thought some people might
> find useful.
>
> Basically I do all the backups to an online disk with the "file:"
> driver, and "chg-multi" changer, as described in the amanda faq. I have
> 7 virtual tapes configured, and the backups cycle through these daily.
> Combined with dumpcycle of one week, this gives me a complete set of
> online backups for all disks, and clients at all time.
>
> Then I have a separate amanda config that backs up only the 7 virtual
> tapes nightly, except that the script that is cronned for this config
> selects only the latest "tapes" that have not been backed up yet, and
> dumps only these to tape. It does this by finding any of the "tapes"
> that have changed since last backup was done, as determined by the dates
> of the appropriate files in the curinfo directory.
>
> This is definitely not the most elegant solution, but it works, and it
> does what I need it to do.

Interesting idea.  ISTR it being considered in another thread, but no
one had implemented to my knowledge.

Have you attempted recovery from your taped versions of the backups?
Is that a two-step procedure than, first recover the online backup
version from tape, then restore from the recovered online backups?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)