Amanda-Users

Re: rait output driver

2003-06-04 11:38:32
Subject: Re: rait output driver
From: Milos Brkic <mbrkic AT farelogix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:35:27 -0400
Some time ago I have tried to configure something similar with the rait driver. I wanted to have backups going to an online disk, for onsite fast recovery, and to tape for off-site and longer term historic storage. I could not get the rait to do it properly to tape and disk, so I ended up with the following config, that I thought some people might find useful.

Basically I do all the backups to an online disk with the "file:" driver, and "chg-multi" changer, as described in the amanda faq. I have 7 virtual tapes configured, and the backups cycle through these daily. Combined with dumpcycle of one week, this gives me a complete set of online backups for all disks, and clients at all time.

Then I have a separate amanda config that backs up only the 7 virtual tapes nightly, except that the script that is cronned for this config selects only the latest "tapes" that have not been backed up yet, and dumps only these to tape. It does this by finding any of the "tapes" that have changed since last backup was done, as determined by the dates of the appropriate files in the curinfo directory.

This is definitely not the most elegant solution, but it works, and it does what I need it to do.

This might sound confusing, but the configs included below should explain it.

Any questions/comments just let me know...

Cheers,
Milos

********* flxcurr  --  the online disk configuration *********************

relevant parts of ananda.conf
=====================
.
.
.
dumpcycle 7             # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
tapecycle 7 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation

runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-multi"   # the tape-changer glue script
rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
changerfile "/backups/amanda/etc/flxcurr/changer.conf"

tapetype HARD-DISK # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
.
.
.

changer.conf
==========

multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0

statefile /backups/amanda/flxcurr/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 7

slot 1 file:/backups/current/flxcurr01
slot 2 file:/backups/current/flxcurr02
slot 3 file:/backups/current/flxcurr03
slot 4 file:/backups/current/flxcurr04
slot 5 file:/backups/current/flxcurr05
slot 6 file:/backups/current/flxcurr06
slot 7 file:/backups/current/flxcurr07

********* flxsys  --  the online disk configuration *********************
amanda.conf is your regular tape backup config. Nothiing fancy.

disklist:
======

matrix /backups/current/flxcurr01       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr02       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr03       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr04       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr05       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr06       local-disk
matrix /backups/current/flxcurr07       local-disk

crontab for the amanda user:
=====================

amanda@matrix $ crontab -l
6 0 * * 0-6 /usr/local/sbin/amdump flxcurr
30 4 * * 0-6 /usr/local/sbin/amcheck -m flxsys
6 5 * * 0-6 /backups/amanda/bin/findnew.sh | /bin/xargs /usr/local/sbin/amdump flxsys matrix

/backups/amanda/bin/findnew.sh (all one line)

find /backups/current/flx*/* -prune -type d -newer `ls -drt1 /backups/amanda/flxsys/curinfo/matrix/_backups_current_flxcurr0? | tail -1` | sed -e 's#/[^/]*$##'

Gregor Ibic wrote:

Is it possible to create a config with rait writing and where the tape part
is done with some rotation (like few tapes with full backup) and one disk
"tape" with everyday full backup.

In this way I would have a fast recover procedure for the last day and do
the backup only once and not twice for each configuration.

Regards,
Gregor