Amanda-Users

R: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)

2003-04-24 03:46:37
Subject: R: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)
From: "Creator" <creator AT mindcreations DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:20:11 +0200

Yes, this is a reasonable technique... :)

> I think that most of the users think all of their data is
> valuable or more or less devideable between disks depending
> on the value (therefore configurable to take on different
> backup stragegies)

Yes this is true but I have to deal with servers that already have been
partitioned or having poor configuration (in the sense of data partitioning
based on the value).
Resize and/or reformat may not be an acceptable solution.

> So you could offer them different strategies for every one of
> their disks (servers, etc) and leave it up to them to decide
> what strategy they want to use to back up every disk.
>
> This way you have to configure disklist file, according to
> the demands of customers - that's what you have to do anyway,
> as amanda disklist configures a disk to be backed up with a
> single and independent (!) dumptype. So your first (partial)
> plan wouldn't hold anyway, because that one would have
> calculated quatas for every disk separately and (without any
> groups) it wouldn't do you any good.

That is why it was a partial... I can make a quota per server and not a big
quota to share among servers. This is a partial solution but it can work
waiting for the better one.

> But what could be done (IMHO) very easely, is a separate
> program, say amquata, that analyzes amanda logs and digs the
> info from there, how much quata one uses, and when the limit
> is exceeded, it can inform the person responsible (and
> possibly do much more). This way no changes are made to the
> existing system (except the adding of the amquata program and
> its configure files) and it will be backwards compatible as well.

This is a nice idea but it solves not the problem of hard blocking
backups... a human has still the task to stop them.

However thank you for your precious contribution to my proposal.

Bye

Stefano Coletta
creator AT mindcreations DOT com
http://www.mindcreations.com