Amanda-Users

R: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)

2003-04-22 16:49:10
Subject: R: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)
From: "Creator" <creator AT mindcreations DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:46:08 +0200

Yes, I'm prepared :)

For firewalls: we administer the firewalls. For customers' firewalls it up
to them to open the necessary ports.
For NAT: we can use tunneling, PAT and other things like these.

> >1) to be informed about over quota events in relation to
> every globally
> >purchased customer quota and even to notify the customer
> >2) to effectively deny the backup if the client has exceeded
> his quota
> >after he has been warned several times
> >3) to inform technical staff about imminent tape space shortage
>
> IMHO, these things are properly done via postprocessing of logs.

Yes, I know... but my proposal wants to be an all inclusive solution trying
to solve these types of problems in a definitive way.
Probably, I'll do it myself if the amanda project in my company will be
considered a success with the smallest customers :)
My postprocessing fatigue will be obviously available for anyone :)

> Denials of something as critical as backups should only be
> done manually by a human, at the behest of said postprocessing.

We are trying to automate most of the things here because we had to manage a
lot of customers with few tech folks.
That is why I'm trying to automate what I can instead post process...
because there is not only the backup to postprocess! ;)

Bye!

Stefano Coletta
creator AT mindcreations DOT com
http://www.mindcreations.com