Amanda-Users

hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)

2003-04-24 03:46:04
Subject: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)
From: Jeroen Heijungs <Jeroen.Heijungs AT Het-Muziektheater DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:41:36 +0200
At 12:23 23-04-03 -0400, Gene wrote:
>To allow amanda to have a good view of the tape, and because gzip
>can compress better than the hardware, sometimes by large amounts,
>its generally recommended the drives compressor be shut off
>permanently by this group.  It less amanda hassle in the long view.

It was recommended to me to NOT use software compression, with
the following reason:

"If a software compressed file is damaged, the complete file/tape is
not readable anymore and therefore useless. If it is NOT compressed
the rest of the tape/file may be readable, and therefore probably
restorable."

I have never had the opportunity to test this, does anyone has some
thoughts and/or comments on this?
I now use the hardware compression, and not the software compression,
the tapes are big enough, so there is no real problem for the time being.

tia
Jeroen Heijungs
het Muziektheater
Amsterdam, The Netherlands