Amanda-Users

Re: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)

2003-04-22 18:04:39
Subject: Re: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:59:29 -0400
On Tue April 22 2003 14:24, Anthony A. D. Talltree wrote:
>>I'm setting up Amanda to work as the global ISP solution for
>> customers having to backup hosting/housing/spaces/servers.
>
>Be prepared to deal with lots of firewall/NAT issues.

That may be easier than you think shortly, at least on a linux box.
I just built 2.4.21-rc1, and one of the newly installed options is
a bit of a shortcut intended for amanda's use where there may be a
NAT or MASQUERADE in the firewall.  It may be worth investigating.

>>I've conviced management that this software can be a great
>> solution avoiding to purchase expensive softwares like Arcserve,
>> Legato, Tivoli ecc.
>
>Absolutely.
>
>>1) to be informed about over quota events in relation to every
>> globally purchased customer quota and even to notify the
>> customer 2) to effectively deny the backup if the client has
>> exceeded his quota after he has been warned several times
>>3) to inform technical staff about imminent tape space shortage
>
>IMHO, these things are properly done via postprocessing of logs.
>Denials of something as critical as backups should only be done
> manually by a human, at the behest of said postprocessing.

I tend to disagree with that.  The human(s) often has other things
to do.  However if the human(s) get copies of the message sent to
the client when they have overshot what they are paying for, then
the human is at least apprised of the situation and be prepared to
enforce/negate/adjust the agreement.  There isn't much use
bothering him when things are running within the envelope though.

It may take several hours to write the script once to do that, but
its then done until a problem pops up with no further intervention
from the human operators required.  The script doesn't make
misteaks and typu's where the operator may, also a definite plus.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: