Amanda-Users

Re: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)

2003-04-22 12:56:07
Subject: Re: Proposal v2: quota limit on backup clients and groupware (Hope to be added on the wishlist)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:51:55 -0400
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:16:49PM +0200, Stefano Coletta wrote:
[[ snip ]]

> The 2 goals to achieve are:
> 1) to be informed about over quota events in relation to every globally
> purchased customer quota and even to notify the customer
> 2) to effectively deny the backup if the client has exceeded his quota
> after he has been warned several times
> 3) to inform technical staff about imminent tape space shortage
>
> I propose two different approaches to partially/definitely solve the
> problem:
>

> 1st solution: more easy, the partial one
>
> Add new parameters in the dumptypes declaration section of the
> amanda.conf file.
>
> Example:
>
> define dumptype customername {
>    global
[[ snip ]]

> # -- BEGINNING OF NEW PARAMETERS
>
>    quota 1Gb
>    quotaexceed 7
>    quotadeny 1
>
> # -- END OF NEW PARAMETERS
> }
>

> In this way you can limit Amanda from doing backups larger than 1Gb for
> that dumptype that corresponds for example to "customername".
>
> NOTE: with the word "limit" I mean not to truncate the backup but
> effectively avoiding to do it.
>
> "quotaexceed" may be the maximum number of times that Amanda does the
> backup before refusing to do it (ie. 7 days).
>
> Obviously, during the amcheck you have to be notified of this so you can
> contact your customer to extend the quota or just making him to reduce
> the amount of data to backup.

This would be a MAJOR change.
Currently amcheck does no checks on the size of the next backup.
To do this properly would require going through the estimate phase
of amdump which is a time, disk, and cpu expensive.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)