Amanda-Users

Re: SCSI Autoloader setup

2003-02-11 15:59:57
Subject: Re: SCSI Autoloader setup
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Cunningham <johnw_cunningham AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:35:45 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 at 10:48am, John Cunningham wrote

> >From what I can tell of my /var/log/dmesg file my
> autoloader is on /dev/st0 - which is odd because mtx
>  doesn't seem to agree.

mtx needs to talk to an sg device, not an st device.

> when I do the same with sg0: (mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry)
> I get:
> Product Type: Tape Drive
> Vendor ID: 'SEAGATE '
> Product ID: 'DAT    06241-XXX'

That's your tape drive, not your changer.

> scsi1 : ioc1: LSI53C1030, FwRev=01000400h, Ports=1,
> MaxQ=222, IRQ=28
>   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: DAT    06241-XXX  Rev: 8110
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI
> revision: 03

If that's the only thing it picked up on this chain, it isn't seeing your
changer.

> any ideas?

Do you know exactly how this changer is set up?  Does the changer have a
separate SCSI ID from the tape drive, or is it on a different LUN?  Are
you having any termination issues at the tape drive?  Did you custom
compile your kernel, and forget to check "scan all LUNs" in SCSI support.

Also, after bootup, do '/sbin/lsmod'.  Is the "sg" module loaded?  If not,
do 'modprobe sg' and then look at the last few lines of 'dmesg' output --
Does anything jump out there?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering