Amanda-Users

SCSI Autoloader setup

2003-02-04 11:18:20
Subject: SCSI Autoloader setup
From: John Cunningham <johnw_cunningham AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 07:33:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello alll - I'm doing a first time setup (and I'm new at tape drives in general) and ran in to some glitches - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a SCSI IBM DDS-4 120 / 240 6 tape changer on a RedHat Linux 7.3 system.

Here's the chain of events.  I set up the configuration script using a standard chg-multi and got to the point where I was labeling tapes (I'm moving through instructions in O'Reily's "Unix Backup and Recovery") and realized that while I could read and label the tapes, I had issues with auto-changing.  When slot 1 was loaded and I attempted to run the labeling command for slot 2, slot one would eject then the loader would just quit, eventually resulting in an error with the amlabel program.

So I though perhaps the problem lies in that I'm not using a chg-scsi setup.  I grabbed the example chg-scsi-linux file and edited it then pointed the configuration file to it.  Here's a chunk from my amanda.conf file:

runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "/dumps/amanda/chg-scsi.conf" # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/sg1"      # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/nst0"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerfile "/dumps/amanda/changer"
#changerfile "/dumps/amanda/changer-status"
#changerfile "/dumps/amanda/changer.conf"
changerfile "/dumps/amanda/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/sg2"

Here's the setup from my chg-scsi file - the idea is clost 1-5 for tapes and 6 for a cleaner:

   UW PICO(tm) 4.2                                 File: /dumps/amanda/chg-scsi.conf

#chg-scsi-linux.conf

number_configs  1
eject           1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           90      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        100     # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/sg2
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0
scsitapedev     /dev/sg1
startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse       &nb! sp;  5       #
statfile        /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tape0-slot  # The file where the actual slot is stored
cleancart       6       # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is located
cleanfile       /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tape0-clean # The file where the cleanings are recorded
usagecount      /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/totaltime
tapestatus      /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapestatus # here will some status infos be stored
#labelfile      /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/labelfile # Use this if you have an barcode reader

and lastly my changer.conf file....

# lines from chg-multi.com

# For changers that need an 'mt offline' to load the next tape
multieject 0

# Is this a gravity stacker that can't go backwards or cycle ?  If
# yes, set gravity to 1.
gravity 0

# Does this tape-changer need an explicit eject command before loading
# a new tape?  If you are using multiple drives as a tape changer, you
# don't want to do this, but if you are using an auto-changer that
# allows access to the slots through Unix tape devices, it might block
# the mount of a new slot until the old is explicitly ejected.  In
# that case, set needeject to 1.
needeject 0

# On some machines there is a delay between when the eject command
# finishes and the next tape is ready to be accessed.  Set ejectdelay
# to the number of seconds to wait after an eject command. This will
# almost certainly be needed if multieject is set, probably not if
# needeject is used.
ejectdelay 0

# Names a status file where the current ``changer'' state is stored.
statefile /usr/adm/amanda/csd/changer-status

# What are the slot numbers used in the tape rack?
firstslot 1
lastslot 6

# Enumerate the device files that go with the particular tape changer
# slots. Don't forget to specify the no-rewind version of the device.
slot 1 /dev/sg2
slot 2 /dev/sg2
slot 3 /dev/sg2
slot 4 /dev/sg2
slot 5 /dev/sg2
slot 6 /dev/sg2

When I run the labeler I get this error:

amlabel: could not load slot "1": could not read result from "/dumps/amanda/chg-scsi.conf"

I'm sure the list of things I am doing wrong is long and humerous - but any help would be greatly appreciated....

-John

Do you Yahoo!?