Amanda-Users

Re: SCSI Autoloader setup

2003-02-11 17:04:28
Subject: Re: SCSI Autoloader setup
From: John Cunningham <johnw_cunningham AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:38:05 -0800 (PST)
Sorry about the double message - sent prematurely
before...

--- Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 at 10:48am, John Cunningham
> wrote
>
> > >From what I can tell of my /var/log/dmesg file my
>
> > autoloader is on /dev/st0 - which is odd because
> mtx
> >  doesn't seem to agree.
>
> mtx needs to talk to an sg device, not an st device.
>
> > when I do the same with sg0: (mtx -f /dev/sg0
> inquiry)
> > I get:
> > Product Type: Tape Drive
> > Vendor ID: 'SEAGATE '
> > Product ID: 'DAT    06241-XXX'
>
> That's your tape drive, not your changer.

That explains a bit - I wasn't differentiating....

> > scsi1 : ioc1: LSI53C1030, FwRev=01000400h,
> Ports=1,
> > MaxQ=222, IRQ=28
> >   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: DAT    06241-XXX  Rev:
> 8110
> >   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI
> SCSI
> > revision: 03
>
> If that's the only thing it picked up on this chain,
> it isn't seeing your
> changer.
>
> > any ideas?
>
> Do you know exactly how this changer is set up?
> Does the changer have a
> separate SCSI ID from the tape drive, or is it on a
> different LUN?  Are
> you having any termination issues at the tape drive?
>  Did you custom
> compile your kernel, and forget to check "scan all
> LUNs" in SCSI support.
>
> Also, after bootup, do '/sbin/lsmod'.  Is the "sg"
> module loaded?  If not,
> do 'modprobe sg' and then look at the last few lines
> of 'dmesg' output --
> Does anything jump out there?

here's /sbin/lsmod - "sg" is the first thing on the
list:

sg                     35076   0 (autoclean)
ide-cd                 30368   0 (autoclean)
cdrom                  32448   0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
soundcore               7044   0 (autoclean)
autofs                 12612   0 (autoclean) (unused)
tg3                    45568   1
st                     29940   0
usb-ohci               21472   0 (unused)
usbcore                75904   1 [usb-ohci]
ext3                   70944   2
jbd                    53792   2 [ext3]
ips                    46144   3
mptscsih               36084   0
mptbase                37824   3 [mptscsih]
sd_mod                 12992   6
scsi_mod              113284   5 [sg st ips mptscsih
sd_mod]

I'm guessing that I'm looking at recompiling the
kernal - I was really trying to avoid that...

How can I tell for sure?