Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question

2013-06-14 16:08:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:01:11 +0000
We have 3 NW servers, with one NW server being a live "test" box.  It has only
9 clients, so that is the backup server we upgrade first, to test new software.
  That server is also our NMC  server.   A couple of weeks ago, we upgraded the
NMC server to 8.0.1.4, and had mixed results.   Our main production backup
server, never missed a beat. It is running 7.6.2.1.7, and hasn't had one
problem, even with the NMC on 8.0.

However, our other box had all kinds of issues, as somewhere along the line,
nsrauth, had been removed from that's server's configuration.    NW 8.0
requires nsrauth, not oldauth, so this server, also running 7.6.2.7, would not
communicate with the NMC 8.0 box.     Once we got that straight, renamed tmp
and nsrd directory, and rebooted, we were able to get everything working
properly.

We've now been running a mixed environment for about 2 weeks, and will upgrade
our 2nd server to 8.0.1.5 later this month.   If there are going to be
problems, it will most likely be on this upgrade, as this NW server has
multiple storage nodes, and several hundred clients attached to it.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk
http://www.lsuhsc.edu/ithelpdesk
Twitter: @LSUHSCNO_IT