Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question

2013-06-14 15:54:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:47:35 -0400
> This is clearly explained in the installation guide.  You must do all
your
> storage nodes before you do your server(s).

I've spent all this week migrating my NW server to new hardware (that was
Tue), and the last 3 days replacing/upgrading hardware and VMware patches.
Haven't had time to look at the NW notes yet. But I've done upgrades from
7.2 through each version up to 7.6, so I was hoping that the process
hadn't changed a whole lot with 8. Yes, I will read the notes before I
actually do it (next weekend), but I was hoping I remembered the change in
ordering correctly.

> Nope.  Oddly enough, the installation guide spells out that the
*opposite*
> is supported -- an 8.x storage node *is* supported with a 7.6.x server.

Hmmm. Not sure that will help me. Unless things have radically changed, a
restart isn't required when uninstalling 7.6.2 and installing 8, on a
Windows storage node. But even so, I can only do that on scheduled
downtime (just in case), which is next weekend. And with Windows, it never
really hurts to restart, required or not ...

> We were running 7.6.2.2 on one of our two NetWorker servers, and it was
> not able to communicate with either nsrexecd or NMC once I took both of
> those to 8.0.1.5 on our NMC box.

I will keep an eye out.