Networker

[Networker]

2013-06-14 15:33:57
Subject: [Networker]
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:26:36 -0500
In regard to: [Networker], Tony Garza said (at 2:03pm on Jun 14, 2013):

How many of you guys are using Networker 8 and DD boost is it really that
great?

I've asked similar questions in the past six months, as we were spec'ing
new hardware and wanted feedback from sites that were already using DD.
Look through the mailing list archives, especially the thread I started
in November 2012 about DD.  There were a lot of good replies there.

Pretty much everyone that's posted about NW 8.x + DD in the past few
months has given it very good marks.

I personally can't say yet -- the DD860 that we purchased is still in the
box and probably won't be in production until mid-summer.  I'm in the
process of upgrading us to NetWorker 8.0.1.5 before we begin the
integration.

 We are looking at a disk target and currently use Networker 8.  I
am not impressed with the DD990 hardware and the single controller
configuration.  We are concerned with the backup speeds but also really
focused on restore speeds.

Keep in mind that NW 8 + DD Boost can do "client direct" backup, which
is *source* dedupe.  Most other non-EMC disk targets won't have the
necessary NetWorker integration to do source dedupe.  You would still be
pushing all the data over the wire before it's deduped on the DD.

Recovers, of course, are another matter -- there's really no way to dedupe
a recover, so all the data must come back somehow.  That's one thing that
I also asked about in the thread I started in November 2012.

 I see other backup targets that can push more
native speed than even the DD990 with boost can push.

"Can" and "will" are two different things.  The ability to do source
dedupe with NW 8 was the deciding factor for us.

 Also I have heard
rumors that a hardware refresh is in the near future and we don't want to
buy a system that will soon be refreshed.

I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Tim
edu