Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question

2013-06-14 15:06:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:59:20 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Upgrading to NW 8 - storage nodes question,...:

Used to be, if you upgraded your NW server, you had to do all your storage
nodes to that same version at the same time. Has that changed with NW 8?
Specifically, I am running NW 7.6.2. I want to go to the latest v8. Do I
have to do all my storage nodes the same time as I do my server, or can I
do my server one day, and not do the storage nodes until a few days later?

This is clearly explained in the installation guide.  You must do all your
storage nodes before you do your server(s).

Can I run a storage node at 7.6.2, and have it communicate with a NW 8
server, without issue?

Nope.  Oddly enough, the installation guide spells out that the *opposite*
is supported -- an 8.x storage node *is* supported with a 7.6.x server.

However, I've been through the NMC and server/snode upgrade in the past
couple days and I can say with certainty that their guide isn't as clear
as it could be.  There's an SSL interoperability issue between the
8.0.1.5 that I installed and Linux (only Linux, not Windows) nsrexecd
early than 7.6.3.

We were running 7.6.2.2 on one of our two NetWorker servers, and it was
not able to communicate with either nsrexecd or NMC once I took both of
those to 8.0.1.5 on our NMC box.

Tim
edu