Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs

2009-09-10 17:18:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs
From: Roberta Gold <gold11 AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:12:51 -0700
Already got a patch. Do not let EMC dally around with your call! Refer them to case#3128014 ...

I have too may non-existant clients to fool with the work-around. Thanks for the information ...

At 4:51 PM -0400 9/10/09, Giles Malet wrote:
The bad news is "nsrck" hangs every night.
 > It appears to be checking clients that don't exist anymore.

Correct. As people have said, you can work around this by putting those clients back (!).

To see this hang in all its glory, run:

 # /usr/sbin/nsrck -Xv nonexistent1 nonexistent2

It will tell you the first doesn't exist, then hang.

Running truss on the process shows it closing fd 0 (stdin?) -- and then promptly trying to do cntl(0, F_SETLK,...) ... which, not surprisingly, fails. So the process sleeps for a moment, and tries again. But no amount of sleeping is going to get around that.

The problem appears to trigger if you have two clients, alphabetically adjacent, that don't exist.

We have a support call in about this shoddiness.

gdm

--
Roberta Gold
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory