Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs

2009-09-04 18:57:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 18:52:11 -0400
I am pushing them on a severity 1 right now because I have a Windows server
2008 that I needed
to do DR on and it failed big time -- so, I have not pushed them.  I'm
certainly adding it to
the list of things I want them to fix, I want to understand what is going on
that they suddenly
need these old clients re-defined (I assume it is a side effect of one of the
many bugs they
fixed).

Yes, I'd suggest you open an issue with EMC and push them on it.  If you want,
you can tell
them that this is the same issue as UVM's SR 31051592.

You will need to do the following with the script I've provided (which is from
Linux)

nsrim -X | tee nsrck_hangs.log
more_badness.sh nsrck_hangs.log >nsradmin.script
bash ./nsradmin.script

more_badness.sh greps the file given for the lines that say "not a registered
client", and then
adds those systems to the /etc/hosts file (assuming that they've long since
disappeared out of
your DNS as well as being deleted from NetWorker), and prints out the nsradmin
commands to
re-create those clients in a disabled state and as a member of no groups.

After you re-add the clients in nsradmin, you can remove their definitions from
your /etc/hosts
file.

Before you use more_badness.sh, you should read it and if you are using the
192.168.214.x ip
address network, you should change the value of "safeNetwork" at the top of the
script.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

(since the mailinglist won't allow the attachment of the shell script)

--------8<------------8<------------8<------------
#!/bin/bash

safeNetwork="192.168.214"
i=100

printf "nsradmin <<EOF\n"
grep 'not a registered' $1 | sed -e 's/.*`//' -e "s/'.*//" |
while read client; do
    printf "%s.%d\t%s\n" "$safeNetwork" "$i" "$client" >>/etc/hosts
    printf "create type: nsr client; name: %s; group: ; " "$client"
    printf scheduled backup: disabled\ny\n"
done
printf "quit\nEOF\n"