Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs

2009-09-08 14:03:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:58:23 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs, Roberta Gold said (at...:

I also think EMC owe all of us a big "APOLOGY" for releasing a crappy version of NetWorker!

I feel the same way Frank does.  It's not so much that there are problems
with a new version of NetWorker (though fewer problems would be better!).
It's that

- it's a real fight to even convince support that the issue you're seeing
  is a problem.

- once you convince support that there is a problem, they're going to
  force you to upgrade to the latest hotfix version.

- the last few times we've done the upgrade and pray cycle, the new
  version seems to introduce about as many problems as it fixes.

For us, 7.4.5 has been better (so far!) than 7.4.4.4 was, but that's
honestly not saying much.

I'm with Sami -- I miss 7.2.2.

Why can't they notify customers when they discover problems in a release?

I just wish they would notify their own support people!  There are *many*
times when I've received escalations or bug #s from other people on this
list and had to clue support in that the problem my site was seeing is
exactly the same as a problem # that I had to tell them about.

It hasn't been all negative -- I have had great experiences with support
people in the past and even now I'm working a case with a support person
who's been excellent (hey Imran!).  Those good experiences unfortunately
aren't the norm.

They certainly know where to find us when they send the bill or want to sell us some new feature!

A newly discovered issue (breaking up savesets again):

38706 09/04/09 15:04:22  nsrd server1:/nsr_old continuing save
38718 09/04/09 15:04:22 nsrd server1:<1>/nsr_old saving to pool 'File DD580 STG' (st.1)

Continuation savesets?  That's a blast from the past.

Are you running the released version of 7.4.5 or have you applied any
additional patches?  I ask because when EMC gives out debug binaries,
sometimes those are configured with a ss cutoff size that causes
continuation savesets to be used.

Tim
edu