Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar

2016-03-13 17:36:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Heitor Medrado de Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:28:43 -0400
On Mar 11, 2016, at 7:14 PM, Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br> wrote:

On 11/03/16 20:14, Simon Templar wrote:
In my case using spooling didn’t prevent shoe-shining; it just introduced long pauses while data was spooled. I think all this means is that I can read from my data sources faster than my tape can write.

Unless you are using DAT, do not use mechanical drives for spooling - they can't keep up with the tape drive unless you're using one that's dedicated and only spooling/despooling for a single job (LTO1-2-3, incompressible data) or can't keep up at all (As above with any form of compressible data, or LTO4,5,6,7)
Hello Alan: I have the same perception.
SSD is the only way to fly. After having tested with a PCIe NVMe drive, I'd say that's preferred, but a _fast_ SATA2/3 or SAS2 drive will work too (The old spool was a stripe of Intel SLC SSDs, the new one is a DC3700 card)
I never got this spooling / disk backup fetish. I mean: it keeps data interleaving to happen, but at what cost?
With SSD you can have a ridiculous hight throughput, but you still need to wait backup data being copied to tapes / definitive slow disk. Unless you have a really short backup window at client size, it is useless.

I backup to disk, then copy to tape later.  This way I have backups on disk and tape. Restoring from disk is faster than restoring from tape. It is quite useful.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon