Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar

2016-03-11 15:22:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar
From: Simon Templar <stemplar AT opposedtwin DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:14:10 -0500
In my case using spooling didn’t prevent shoe-shining; it just introduced long pauses while data was spooled. I think all this means is that I can read from my data sources faster than my tape can write.

So far the only change I made to help with shoe-shining was to set Max File Size to a large number (mine is now set to 20g, after first trying 3gb then 5gb). This one change alone is probably responsible for most of the performance increase that I’ve been able to achieve thus far. I’d like to test and tune more, but I’m still wrestling with things like tape mount timeouts (no 3rd shift operators), job run time timeouts, etc…

-Simon