Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula

2014-05-26 19:32:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Other than Bacula
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 19:29:49 -0400
On 05/26/14 19:08, Rickinfl wrote:
> "Well, the first ting that comes to notice is that your maximum volume
> size is set to 3.7 terabytes, with 100 volumes allowed. Is that
> intentional? You're telling Bacula it can use up to 370TB of disk
> space. Do you *have* 370TB of free disk space? "
>
> Don't tell me it was that easy?   I think "Maximum concurrent jobs" should be
> renamed.  To me I seen that as.... 100 Maximum Concurrent jobs running at
> once. Not 100X3.7 TB.

Maximum concurrent jobs and maximum volume size have absolutely nothing
to do with each other.  Multiple jobs running simultaneously can write
to the same volume unless you have Maximum Volume Jobs = 1, which you
almost certainly don't want to do.

Maximum Volume Size (3.7TB in your File Pool config) limits how large a
volume can grow.
Maximum Volumes (100 in your File Pool config) limits how many volumes
can be created in the Pool before it is considered full.

Maximum Concurrent Jobs (also 100 in your config) limits how many Jobs
can be running at the same time.  It is completely unrelated to the two
directives above.

Note that you need to set this directive *SEPARATELY* for the Director,
for each Storage daemon, and for each Client.  You probably do not want
them all set to the same value, unless you're just using a strategy of
setting all of them to a value sufficiently large you never expect to
reach it.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications