Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup Clusters

2014-05-23 13:23:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup Clusters
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 12:21:09 -0500
On 05/23/2014 10:30 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> At failover, there simply is no way for the node taking over the primary
> role to determine the state of the interface on the failing node. It is
> up to software to handle errors caused by the interface going up and
> down and reopen sockets. Bacula could be made more cluster friendly,
> (which btw would also make it more robust with regards to handling
> network problems), but as it is, the only safe way I see to do this is
> to let the CRM start/stop bacula-fd dependent on the cluster IP
> resource. Another instance of bacula-fd can separately handle backing up
> any non-cluster resources on the node if needed.

Right. I'm not using crm/pacemaker, I'm using heartbeat and with
heartbeat it's pretty much the only way:
- bacula-fd:9102 is started from init.d on both nodes and is handling
/etc, crontabs, and other such,
- drbd, cluster ip, ..., and bacula-fd with

  Name = cluster-fd
  FDAddresses = {
    ip = { addr = clus.ter.ip; port = 9105; }
  }

are started when the node goes active.

Obviously, if failover happens during backup, the backup will fail, but
I doubt there's a feasible way around that.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin