Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume not recycling?

2014-05-23 13:36:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume not recycling?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:33:37 -0400
> - Looks like it’s a disk volume, and there’s no limit on volume size or job
> count or time, nor a “Use Volume Once”. I think it will just keep appending
> without ever starting a new volume.

You are correct.

> - File & job retention 1 year, would span 12 full backups.
>
> - Volume retention 1 month: that starts counting after the last write to the
> volume, not at day one.  It also may never happen (or at least later than
> you expect, I don’t know if there’s a default maximum size) because there’s
> no limit on volume use.

The retention period will begin when the volume is marked Full or
Used. With the current settings that will happen when the filesystem
becomes full. At that point bacula will start the retention counting
from the last modified time. Also at that time bacula will prompt the
user to label an additional volume since there are no appendable
volumes.