Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup Clusters

2014-05-26 09:03:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup Clusters
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:58:14 +0200
Hello,

On 5/24/2014 1:58 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> It is the different problem. Yes, bacula could be a more robust
> regarding network problems.

I wonder how much state you'll to have keep to successfully reconnect.
E.g. re-establishing database connection at the start of a backup job
should be trivial, however, what if you get cut off from bacula-sd in
the middle of a write. There are downsides to restarting the job from
scratch.

There is a something like "Incomplete Job", but it is available in BEE only (I think, could someone correct me please).
It is based on Accurete Job mechanism and allow to restart a backup job from the last successfully written file.

To successfully implement a reconnection FD->SD (and others) you need to design and develop a reconnection protocol which will authenticate connection and switch it to the valid thread, which should swap a current connection handle with a new one. Additionally this protocol should handle a backup stream restart points, i.e. repeat the current/last file backup (you need to know what data SD received and wrote and what data you need to resend). Reconnecting DIR->FD connection should be simpler, because it does not exchange any interesting data during backup (not to count commands/status and accurate job data). For DIR->SD you need to implement something similar to dir->fd with additional metadata information transfer (logical sd->dir). In my opinion it is a lot of work and it was simpler for me to implement variable block level global deduplication for Bacula then implement above workflow. :) IMVHO.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net