Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD

2013-06-22 17:19:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD
From: Laurent Papier <bacula AT tuxfan DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 23:16:36 +0200
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:52:27 +0000
Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com> wrote:

> According to Laurent, all aspects of the Bacula system (director, storage, &
> client) must be enabled with LZO support. I haven't tested it without LZO
> support in the director and storage devices. If you do, please post your
> findings.

I confirm this point.

The LZO lib is only needed on the client but both the director and the storage
need to have LZO support.

LZO compression is configured  in the fileset definition. The fileset is
handled by the director.
The storage need to have LZO enable to recognize the stream type when reading
tape.

> Yes, I would imagine that the client would need to support LZO prior to
> restoring. Yes, it would mean one additional step in the restoration process
> but not an insurmountable one for me.

Sure, the client need to be able to uncompress the data stream sent by the
storage. The portability section of LZO web site shows that LZO could run on a
large number of OS. I guess on every OS when bacula can run.

--
Laurent Papier