Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD

2013-06-04 03:37:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD
From: bacula AT tuxfan DOT net
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 09:19:09 +0200
Le Mon, 3 Jun 2013 23:28:46 +0000
Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com> écrit:

> Hello-
>
> I want to use LZO compression in two of my jobs instead of GZIP. These jobs
> back up to hard drives on a FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE machine. Bacula v5.2.12.
>
> I installed archivers/lzo2 and verified that /usr/local/lib/liblzo2.so
> exists. This was after I had been using Bacula on this particular server for
> several years.
>
> Unfortunately after modifying the bacula-dir.conf to use LZO, the job result
> shows 0% software compression for each of these two jobs.
>

> Do I need to recompile bacula-server in order to incorporate LZO? I did not
> see any make config option for LZO.

Hello,
yes you need to have LZO include and lib installed in your system AND you need
to compile bacula (client, storage and director) in order to get LZO
compression support.

There is a major compression speed improvement in LZO 2.05 and up on 64bits
Intel system. Check that you have at least LZO 2.05.

There is no option in configure script like for GZIP compression. The configure
script will auto-detect the lib. Please check that your compiler have access to
lzo include files and lzo lib.

At the end of the configure script execution, you get detailed output with all
options/ settings. Check that lzo support is on before compiling bacula.

Here is a part of the output with LZO option:
   Large file support:       yes
   Bacula conio support:     no -lreadline -ltinfo
   readline support:         yes
   TCP Wrappers support:     yes -lwrap
   TLS support:              yes
   Encryption support:       yes
   ZLIB support:             yes
   LZO support:              yes
   enable-smartalloc:        yes
   enable-lockmgr:           no
   bat support:              yes
   enable-gnome:             no
   enable-bwx-console:       no
   enable-tray-monitor:      no
   client-only:              no
   build-dird:               yes
   build-stored:             yes
   Plugin support:           yes
   ACL support:              yes
   XATTR support:            yes
   Python support:           yes -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -lpython2.7 -lutil
-lrt systemd support:          no
   Batch insert enabled:     PostgreSQL MySQL SQLite3

Regards.
--
Laurent Papier - 03 88 75 80 50
Resp. système - SdV Plurimedia - <http://www.sdv.fr/>