Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD

2013-06-24 02:39:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD
From: pietersnld <pietersnld AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
bacula-13 wrote
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:52:27 +0000
> Doug Sampson &lt;

> dougs@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> According to Laurent, all aspects of the Bacula system (director,
>> storage, & client) must be enabled with LZO support. I haven't tested it
>> without LZO support in the director and storage devices. If you do,
>> please post your findings.
>
> I confirm this point.
>
> The LZO lib is only needed on the client but both the director and the
> storage need to have LZO support.
>
> LZO compression is configured  in the fileset definition. The fileset is
> handled by the director.
> The storage need to have LZO enable to recognize the stream type when
> reading tape.
>
>> Yes, I would imagine that the client would need to support LZO prior to
>> restoring. Yes, it would mean one additional step in the restoration
>> process but not an insurmountable one for me.
>>

> Sure, the client need to be able to uncompress the data stream sent by the
> storage. The portability section of LZO web site shows that LZO could run
> on a large number of OS. I guess on every OS when bacula can run.
>
> --
> Laurent Papier

I have no LZO support (no LZO library) on my director and storage daemon.
Client backup with LZO and restore works fine. When restoring LZO compresses
files to a client without LZO compression a warning appears:

Warning: Compressed data stream not supported on this Client.

When restoring the same data on a client with LZO enabled all works fine.
So, at least on my FreeBSD systems, LZO is not needed on SD and DIR only on
client.

Greetings,
Pieter