Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD

2013-06-16 15:30:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD
From: Gary Cowell <gary.cowell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:28:06 +0100
This will cause a problem presumably, if you do backups on an LZO client (such as I'm considering on my SPARC T2 hosts, weedy CPU cores) then if necessary you can't restore these backups to a GZIP only client.

It essentially limits the restore clients to those who also have LZO installed, yes?

Also, are you sure  LZO has to be on the dir and sd ? Seems to me its fd that's doing all the lzo stuff.

On 4 June 2013 22:01, Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com> wrote:
> > Thanks for confirming this. I've recompiled both the server and client
> on the Bacula server and the configure options confirms the LZO support
> option is enabled.
>
> Nice, you should now have a director (bacula-dir)with lzo compression
> options and storage (bacula-sd) with lzo stream support. You must have
> this to be able to use lzo enabled client (bacula-fd).
>

> > Do I need to have the LZO software installed on remote Bacula clients as
> well? Or is LZO on just the server adequate?
> >

> The lzo compression is done in the fd daemon. So, you need lzo lib and lzo
> enabled client (bacula-fd) on every remote bacula client where you want
> lzo compression.

Ah, I see. Nice to know this.

This should be documented in the Bacula manual!

Thanks for your help, Laurent.

~Doug