Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD

2013-06-03 19:50:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] LZO compression on FreeBSD
From: Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>
To: bacula-users at lists.sourceforge.net <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 23:28:46 +0000
Hello-

I want to use LZO compression in two of my jobs instead of GZIP. These jobs
back up to hard drives on a FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE machine. Bacula v5.2.12.

I installed archivers/lzo2 and verified that /usr/local/lib/liblzo2.so exists.
This was after I had been using Bacula on this particular server for several
years.

Unfortunately after modifying the bacula-dir.conf to use LZO, the job result
shows 0% software compression for each of these two jobs.

Do I need to recompile bacula-server in order to incorporate LZO? I did not see
any make config option for LZO.

Am I overlooking something?

A typical fileset is as follows:

# List of files to be backed up
FileSet {
  Name = "Cetus Set"
  Include {
    Options {
      # Files that we don't want to compress.
      signature = MD5
      aclsupport = yes
      HFS Plus Support = yes
 # compressed archival formats
      wild = *.gz
      wild = *.gzip
         [ ... ]
 # compressed audio formats
      wild = *.aac
      wild = *.mp3
    }
    Options {
      signature = MD5
      aclsupport = yes
      compression = LZO
      HFS Plus Support = yes
      wilddir = /proc
      wilddir = /tmp
      wildfile = /.journal
      wildfile = /.fsck
      exclude = yes
    }
   File = /var
   File = /home               # not the same as /usr/home
   File = /usr/home
   File = /usr/local/etc
   File = /usr/local/www
   File = /etc
   File = /root
  }
}

I read somewhere that the settings in the last Options section of a file set
becomes the default settings for the job. So I would think that files that have
failed to meet any of the Options settings would then by default be compressed
in LZO. Is this correct?

Comments, anyone?

~Doug