Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question

2012-06-04 15:02:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:00:27 -0400
On 6/4/2012 12:06 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 06/04/2012 11:04 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> I moved a bacula db from a RAID1 array of two WD RE-4 drives to an old
>> 80 GB Intel X25-M, which is not one of the fastest compared to more
>> recent SSDs. However it has random read and write performance that far
>> exceeds hard drives. Whether or not it constitutes a significant speed
>> boost for Bacula depends on whether or not MySQL was the bottleneck to
>> begin with. In my case, catalog backup with mysqldump was significantly
>> faster, file selection during a restore was more than twice as fast,
>> pruning/purging volumes was much faster. However, there was only a
>> modest improvement in backup job times.
> I've given some thought to setting up a dedicated MySQL server, and if I
> do get around to it I'm definitely planning SSD for it.  Storage
> throughput makes a huge difference to MySQL performance.  I don't know
> how much improvement there would be for Bacula, though, as I have doubts
> about the performance tradeoffs in Bacula's MySQL code.

It makes a big difference for database-only stuff, like file selection
during restore, pruning volumes, etc. I suppose if you have a lot of
really fast servers to backup, then database performance would be a big
factor for backups as well. My observations are with clients that are
mostly too slow for it to matter. But I still wonder if using the SSD
for attribute and data spooling might make a bigger impact, particularly
if the clients were faster than the Bacula server to begin with.