Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question

2012-06-04 12:08:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:06:26 -0400
On 06/04/2012 11:04 AM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 5/31/2012 9:19 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone tried to use an SSD drive to house the MySQL database for
>> Bacula and understand the
>> performance differences, if any? I am wondering if it will provide a
>> significant speed boost to running it
>> on disk or not. Any clues might be very helpful, thanks.
>
> Increased speed of what, exactly?
>
> I moved a bacula db from a RAID1 array of two WD RE-4 drives to an old
> 80 GB Intel X25-M, which is not one of the fastest compared to more
> recent SSDs. However it has random read and write performance that far
> exceeds hard drives. Whether or not it constitutes a significant speed
> boost for Bacula depends on whether or not MySQL was the bottleneck to
> begin with. In my case, catalog backup with mysqldump was significantly
> faster, file selection during a restore was more than twice as fast,
> pruning/purging volumes was much faster. However, there was only a
> modest improvement in backup job times.

I've given some thought to setting up a dedicated MySQL server, and if I
do get around to it I'm definitely planning SSD for it.  Storage
throughput makes a huge difference to MySQL performance.  I don't know
how much improvement there would be for Bacula, though, as I have doubts
about the performance tradeoffs in Bacula's MySQL code.

(No, I have not considered moving to Postgres.  Honestly, Postgres makes
my teeth bleed.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.