Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question

2012-06-06 07:11:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Moray Henderson <Moray.Henderson AT ict-software DOT org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:08:56 +0100
On 06/06/12 11:10, Moray Henderson wrote:
> Are SSDs more reliable these days?

They seem to be, but I'm one of those odd people who's distrustful
enough of hdds to use raid1 (or better) on desktop systems and I would
do the same for SSDs too.

HDDs aren't particularly reliable devices in any case. This is one of
the reasons we need backups.

Data point: I have a 5-disk RAID0 (stripe) array of 64Gb Intel E25-E
drives for bacula spooling. In the last 2 years it's had about 3PB of
data pass through it and none of the SSD devices has so much as dropped
a bit.

On the other hand I've had to replace 2 of the 12 "enterpise SATA"
mechanical hard drives in the same backup server (1 in a 6 disk raid10
array for the database and 1 in a 6 disk RAID6 array used for the
OS/general data)