Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question

2012-06-04 17:34:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ssd drive question
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 17:32:16 -0400
On 06/04/2012 03:00 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> It makes a big difference for database-only stuff, like file selection
> during restore, pruning volumes, etc. I suppose if you have a lot of
> really fast servers to backup, then database performance would be a big
> factor for backups as well. My observations are with clients that are
> mostly too slow for it to matter. But I still wonder if using the SSD
> for attribute and data spooling might make a bigger impact, particularly
> if the clients were faster than the Bacula server to begin with.

I suspect that using SSD for data spooling would make little difference
to overall backup times unless the clients being backed up could send
data much faster than the storage server could spool it without SSDs.
It would probably be a larger performance gain if simultaneous spooling
and despooling were possible.  My experience is that spooling allows my
LTo4 drive to spend more of its time running at full speed, but
lengthens my backup times significantly because Bacula cannot continue
spooling to a second file while a first is despooled.  I tried out
spooling, but quickly disabled it as I found it was hurting my backup
performance overall, and my main NAS server has enough data throughput
to keep the LTO4 streaming almost continuously anyway.  What I do notice
is that Bacula sits for some time - many minutes - after each job ends
doing nothing but batch-writing attributes into the DB.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.