Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Set real size cartridge in bacula

2012-02-16 15:46:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Set real size cartridge in bacula
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Darci Dambrós Junior <darci.listas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:04:36 +0000
On 16/02/12 13:27, Darci Dambrós Junior wrote:

> I used the command btape for testing. Everything is ok, there was no error:
>
> btape-c bacula-sd.conf / dev/nst0
>      test

did you try the "fill" command?

> In addition, do not know how btape can help since the error runs from the
> backup of data recorded on the 20GB cartridge.

"test" tests general tape functions.

"fill" tests writing to the entire tape and detection of the end,
continuation to a second tape. etc.

If it breaks at 20Gb on "fill", try John's suggestion:

"tar cvf /dev/nst0 /dev/sda" (or other large disk full of data.
Partition tables don't matter. You're simply testing writing)

Cable/terminator errors are normally random. If multiple tapes are
erroring at the same point then there's usually another problem.

Having said that: 20Gb is about one tape forward pass on LTO4 with
"average" data compression levels. (LTO tapes are recorded in a series
of data stripes and the tape passes backwards and forwards multiple
times to be filled.)

The drive will record "end of tape" if there is excessive back-tension
and bacula translates that to "full"

Have the tapes been dropped?

Have you tried the test with a completely unrelated LTO4 cartridge?

Did you download the HP LT&T tools? (They work on IBM drives too, but
IBM have a set of test tools as well)