Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula database is getting too long

2012-01-11 14:52:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula database is getting too long
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Honia A <honia2002 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:50:50 -0500
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> 2012/1/11 Honia A <honia2002 AT hotmail DOT com>:
>> I'm backing up a handful number of Unix boxes, they all get backed up very
>> quickly but we can't access them due to the BackupCatalog job being very
>> slow. When I read online, I see people said it's because of the database
>> size getting larger and larger.
>>
>> I cancel the backup catalog job and all the servers become accessible. This
>> is the configuration for catalog:
>>

>> # This is the backup of the catalog
>> FileSet {
>>   Name = "Catalog"
>>   Include {
>>     Options {
>>       signature = MD5
>>     }
>>     File = "/var/lib/bacula/bacula.sql"
>>   }
>> }
>>

> There is really nothing you can do with the bacula config files to change
> that.

I forgot a couple of things.

1. You may want to optimize your database and check it with dbcheck.
This will remove orphaned data from the database

2. You may want to reduce your file and job retention periods. This
will clear old metadata out of the database quicker.

John