Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula database is getting too long

2012-01-11 14:47:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula database is getting too long
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Honia A <honia2002 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:45:56 -0500
2012/1/11 Honia A <honia2002 AT hotmail DOT com>:
> I'm backing up a handful number of Unix boxes, they all get backed up very
> quickly but we can't access them due to the BackupCatalog job being very
> slow. When I read online, I see people said it's because of the database
> size getting larger and larger.
>
> I cancel the backup catalog job and all the servers become accessible. This
> is the configuration for catalog:
>

> # This is the backup of the catalog
> FileSet {
>   Name = "Catalog"
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       signature = MD5
>     }
>     File = "/var/lib/bacula/bacula.sql"
>   }
> }

There is really nothing you can do with the bacula config files to change that.

> All backups finish around 5 AM but all the servers remain inaccessible until
> 8:30 or so. The last job running is that backup job so I thought the process
> getting slower and slower everyday might have something to do with the size
> of th ebacula.sql file.

You really need to tune your mysql database / filesystem the db is on.
My database is ~39GB and the catalog job takes less than 10 minutes to
complete. Although I am using postgres instead of mysql both databases
should be tuned in a lot of cases since the defaults are very low for
for a modern machine with 8GB+ of ram.

John