Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience

2010-04-14 11:02:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:58:12 -0700

I mostly use bat for restores (i.e. building restore tree).

I did nothing with my tables regarding indexing.  I have whatever the
bacula scripts create by defaults.

In regards to tuning, I did play with changing the join and sort buffer
sizes.  I found a 'slight' increase in performance.  By slight, I mean
something like 4.5 vs 4.6 minutes for the same restore.

Stephen

On 4/14/10 6:29 AM, Koldo Santisteban wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
> Stephen, do you use bconsole or bat? Perhaps the issue is only on bat. I
> recognize that i only use bweb and bat (on windows).
> Regarding your comments Stephen, my bacula server is smaller than yours,
> but my catalog size was 400 Mb (Baculas is working since 2 months ago).
> I don´t tune my database, but with 3.0.3 version thats wasn´t neccesary.
> Wich parameters are recommending to tune? This info i think that is very
> useful for people with the same issue like me... i see that some people
> says that the better way is creating new indexes(someone says that this
> is the worst option), others say to custom mysql parameters...but i
> can´t find any "official" info, and, at less in my case, i don´t have
> enough time(and knowledge) to testing bacula with some new indexes, or
> customizing mysql/postgre... I miss this offcial info...
> Regards
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch
> <mailto:thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>> wrote:
>
>     Am Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:59:25 +0200 schrieb Koldo Santisteban:
>
>      > thanks for your answer.
>      >  The first stage was with mysql 5.0.77, and works with bacula 3.0.3
>      >  without
>      > problems. I have used the same database and server with bacula 5.0.1.
>      > The bacula server + DB is a 3,5 Gb Ram with a Xeon processor. I have
>      > tested my environment installing postgree on the same server and
>     with a
>      > empty db. I create full bacula server backup and then try to
>     restore. I
>      > have detected that the restore process works fine usgin bweb and
>     bacula
>      > 5.0.1, what is the difference between bat and bweb?
>
>     noticed too, bat takes forever on building trees on restores.
>     bconsole is
>     _much_ faster.
>
>     - Thomas

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760
404.538.7077 (phone)           University of California, Berkeley
510.643.5811 (fax)             Berkeley, CA 94720-4760