Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience

2010-04-14 16:23:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience
From: ebollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:20:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Stephan,

Thanks for your feeback, sometime, few users have performance problem due to
bad
settings and can give bad advise or the impression that nothing can be done
whereas it works well
on ten of thousand of silent users.

In this case the performance problem is due to the presence of bad and
useless indexes on the
database. Just use the default schema, don't add anything, and it will work
like a charm
(proper my.cnf could also help of course).

With those extra indexes, it was looking to work with 3.0.3, but not with
5.0.x. anymore.
IMHO, MySQL (and probably PostgreSQL) try to use them for the new query and
performances are
bad (yes indexes aren't always the solution to speedup database
performance).

When I see sites like yours that run very big jobs in few minutes, and
others that should wait days
the difference has big chance to come from configuration mistake and extra
tuning... In this kind of
situation, the best way to avoid problems is asking for profesionnal help.

In your case, if you want to wait only a couple of seconds (instead of
minutes), you can think to
switch on PostgreSQL, but it doesn't look like to be a problem for you :-)
Anyway if you give only a
couple of bytes to run sort and join operations (default settings) or you
add bad indexes, performance will be bad.

Thanks for using Bacula, and feel free to fill a testimonial on
www.bacula.org, your setup looks to be very interesting!

Bye