Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience

2010-04-13 13:30:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:28:11 -0700

Heya,

This response isn't advice, just a statement about how 5.0.1 is working
out for me in a mysql environment.  I've read a lot of concerns out
there and like you say, there are issues, but no magic bullet, so I too
am trying to understand the situation so as not to create problems for
myself now or down the road.

My catalog...

    mysql-5.0.77 (64bit) MyISAM
    210Gb in size
    1,412,297,215 records in File table
    note: database built with bacula 2x scripts,
    upgraded with 3x scripts, then again with 5x scripts
    (i.e. nothing customized along the way)

My OS & hardware for bacula DIR+SD server...

    Centos 5.4 (fully patched)
    8Gb RAM
    2Gb Swap
    1Tb EXT3 filesystem on external fiber RAID5 array
    (dedicated to database, incl. temp files)
    2 dual-core [AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2220] CPUs

My experience...

    I was worried when I migrated to 5.x because I had heard of slow
mysql issues, but building the "most recent" restore tree for a 1.23Tb
6,578,204-files FileSet takes just under 5 minutes.  That response time
seems reasonable and acceptable to me.

Hope this info helps at least define what's possible -- would be nice
to see more stats about the bacula community in general.

Good luck!

thanks,
Stephen

On 04/13/2010 05:42 AM, Koldo Santisteban wrote:
> Hello
> I am working with bacula 5.0.1. On first stage i setup the server with
> bacula 5.0.1 and Mysql, but, when i need to restore i have found that
> "the bulid tree process" take 10-12 hours (or more). I have read all
> about this issues and i can see that no exists any "magic" solution. In
> order to solve it, i have migrate from mysql to postgre, but i can see
> the same symtopms. Perhaps it works better, but, in my opnion, this is
> not serios on a production environment.
> If it´s possible, i will appreciate it people share their experience
> with bacula last version and this kind of issues. A couple of month ago
> i finished to deploy bacula on my environment, but now, i am considering
> to go back all.
> Please any comment regarding this case is welcome.
> Regards

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760
404.538.7077 (phone)           University of California, Berkeley
510.643.5811 (fax)             Berkeley, CA 94720-4760