Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience

2010-04-14 09:59:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.0.1 and db issues - please, share your experience
From: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
To: Koldo Santisteban <ksantisteban AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:56:38 +0200
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:29:29PM +0200, Koldo Santisteban wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
> Stephen, do you use bconsole or bat? Perhaps the issue is only on bat. I
> recognize that i only use bweb and bat (on windows).

For what it's worth, I used bconsole, and it was extremly slow (20+ hours)
under 5.0.x, while it was relatively fast (less than 10 minutes) under 3.0.3

> Regarding your comments Stephen, my bacula server is smaller than yours, but
> my catalog size was 400 Mb (Baculas is working since 2 months ago). I don´t
> tune my database, but with 3.0.3 version thats wasn´t neccesary.
> Wich parameters are recommending to tune? This info i think that is very
> useful for people with the same issue like me... i see that some people says
> that the better way is creating new indexes(someone says that this is the
> worst option), others say to custom mysql parameters...but i can´t find any
> "official" info, and, at less in my case, i don´t have enough time(and
> knowledge) to testing bacula with some new indexes, or customizing
> mysql/postgre... I miss this offcial info...

I do not see how you could expect to get "official info" before
there is official opinion formed ?

There is a speed bug in bacula 5.0.x series only. It is reported, and
you can track the bug status at http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1472

Once the exact problem and official resolution are known, then bug
report will be closed and speed bug fixed (or official recommendations
given in bug report at URL above).

So you could either:

1) put up with slowness until the bug 1472 is resolved and then
   upgrade and/or follow official recommendations. Perhaps you can
   even help with it by providing additional information and/or
   running tests ?

2) downgrade to 3.0.3 which does not have this bug

3) spend some time reading the experiences of others and trying to
   adopt them to your case

4) give up