Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media

2010-03-24 17:57:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:30:21 -0400

John Drescher wrote:
>> What is the best strategy and storage media for long-term backups, say
>> to 10 or 20 years (if any)? I ask because I do have an old DLT tape
>> drive and some tapes, unusable, because its SCSI controller is no longer
>> among us. It is not 10 years old and is already a problem.
>>

> In bacula provided you have a drive that reads the old media do a
> migration to new media/tape technology when you determine the
> availability of a technology is going away. I have 80 DLT tapes with
> bacula data on them but both of my DLT IV drives are unreliable at
> best. When I get time I need to invest $600 in a new DLT (only can buy
> from "approved" vendors) so that I can do this for my old data. Most
> of this is a second copy of archived data that I have a working copy
> on the LTO2 autochanger. I know that is getting old but at least it's
> still supported in read mode with LTO4..

Which points up the basic issue. Long term archiving is a labor
intensive process. You can't just take something and toss it in a safe
and expect it to last forever. There has to be managed migration,
testing, etc. You could use disk drives, but you need to keep upgrading
them and testing them. So the drive you have the data on in 10 years
won't be the same drive it started out on. I have backups dating back
almost 20 years on disk drives. They have moved through multiple actual
computers and many changes of OS.

Another issue with old archives is data format. Same story. Labor
intensive. Old formats become obsolete. Files may need to be translated
or updated. Details will vary depending on the data and application. For
me, it made it reasonable to buy a copy of MacLink Plus Deluxe to get
the various old document formats into more current open formats that are
usable, since it can handle a huge number of old formats and does batch
conversion. But that's personal data. Professional environments and
those with much larger data volumes will have different needs that will
have to be addressed in different ways.

It's the digital version of the monks of the middle ages copying
manuscripts and distributing them to other monasteries, where they get
copied and distributed again.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-