Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hard disk as backup media

2010-03-24 15:42:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hard disk as backup media
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users-lists <lists AT vlietwerkz DOT ca>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:40:48 +0100
bacula-users-lists wrote:
> Ok, you've piqued my curiosity - why would one not use disk versus
> ¿tape? as a long term storage medium?  Do you have any sites,
> documentation, whitepapers on the subject?  Even unsupported hunches are
> food for thought - mind sharing?

do not have whitepapers or things like that. but:

* last month my fathers old pc got defective (motherbord, 7 years old).
Hey, I was little surprised, that i had no machine around with IDE
connectors .

* i don't know any commodity harddrives with warranty longer than
5years, wheras tapes are statet to last up to 30years by manufacturers
(further readings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape_Open)

anyway, for long term archiving you will hit other problems like: can
you read your data with the software you will have in 10years or will
the old software still run? Your restored data will be worth nothing if
you can't work with it. :)

- Thomas