Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media

2010-03-24 17:25:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term backups - was: Hard disk as backup media
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dave Robison <daver AT vicor DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:23:33 -0400
> Wouldn't DVD be a pretty good solution for this? Perhaps they won't be
> around in 10 years, but I'd count that you could find a working reader.
> At that point you could read the data off and write it to whatever the
> latest, most long-term media happens to be.
>
> Certainly better than hard drives as far as interface and longevity.

I put DVD somewhere between hard drive and tape closer to hard drive
than tape. DVDs have their own degradation problems especially with RW
media. The inks degrade over time causing the data to be unreadable. I
used to use DVD a little but its way too small for my backups now and
also too labor intensive. I mean 40+ DVDs  versus 1 tape that is
autoloaded. And this does not count the time differences at writing at
30 to 40MB/s versus dvd rates.