Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-29 05:35:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:29:55 -0700
C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iQ DOT de wrote:

> John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 28.04.2009 17:01:11:
>
> > > Isn't the only way to backup to disks by emulating tape drives? I'm
> > > specifically
> > > talking about
> > >
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=47704&group_id=50727
> > > As I understand it, bacula itself doesn't support drives other
> than tapes.
> > > Am I wrong?
> > >
> > You are completely wrong. Bacula supports, tape, disk/flash and dvd.
> >
> > John
>
> I thought I read quite a lot of the documentation. Guess I'm wrong.
> Can you give me
> a hint? I couldn't find anything except for the vchanger script and
> the default
> bacula-sd.conf also has no Device resource for USB-Disks.
You aren't completely wrong, actually, you just may have slightly
misunderstood one of the basic concepts of Bacula. To Bacula, each
volume is a tape regardless of how it actually is stored, and every
device you specify in the SD is a tape drive regardless of what it
physically is.

Bacula *can* back up to hard disks, but it is a bit kludgy. For hard
disk backups, Bacula uses one file per volume, and your USB drive is
treated like a tape drive. Now you and I know that you can't take a
single file out of a hard disk the way you can remove a tape from a tape
drive. Bacula doesn't know that, and you may at times get a message to
insert and mount a particular file that bacula wants.

Similarly, you and I know that you can unplug a USB drive and take it
off site. But bacula doesn't know that, and assumes that all devices are
always available. You can work around these shortcomings with some
clever scripting and scheduling, but to some extent you will have to
fight bacula to get it to do what you want.

So: it is true that bacula CONCEPTUALLY only supports tapes. Physically,
bacula does support hard disks and other media, though.

Here is my SD definition for a USB disk.

Device {
  Name = USBDisk2
  Media Type = File
  Device Type = File
  Archive Device = /misc/BACKUP2
  LabelMedia = yes
  Random Access = Yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  RemovableMedia = no
  AlwaysOpen = no
  RequiresMount = No
}

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.