Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-29 05:54:07
Subject: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk based backups
From: C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iQ DOT de
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:48:57 +0200

Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com> wrote on 29.04.2009 11:29:55:

> C.Keschnat AT internet-mit-iQ DOT de wrote:

> > http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=47704&group_id=50727
> > than tapes.
> > > >
> > > You are completely wrong. Bacula supports, tape, disk/flash and dvd.
> > >
> > > John
> >
> > I thought I read quite a lot of the documentation. Guess I'm wrong.
> > Can you give me
> > a hint? I couldn't find anything except for the vchanger script and
> > the default
> > bacula-sd.conf also has no Device resource for USB-Disks.
> You aren't completely wrong, actually, you just may have slightly
> misunderstood one of the basic concepts of Bacula. To Bacula, each
> volume is a tape regardless of how it actually is stored, and every
> device you specify in the SD is a tape drive regardless of what it
> physically is.
>
> Bacula *can* back up to hard disks, but it is a bit kludgy. For hard
> disk backups, Bacula uses one file per volume, and your USB drive is
> treated like a tape drive. Now you and I know that you can't take a
> single file out of a hard disk the way you can remove a tape from a tape
> drive. Bacula doesn't know that, and you may at times get a message to
> insert and mount a particular file that bacula wants.
>
> Similarly, you and I know that you can unplug a USB drive and take it
> off site. But bacula doesn't know that, and assumes that all devices are
> always available. You can work around these shortcomings with some
> clever scripting and scheduling, but to some extent you will have to
> fight bacula to get it to do what you want.
>
> So: it is true that bacula CONCEPTUALLY only supports tapes. Physically,
> bacula does support hard disks and other media, though.
>
> Here is my SD definition for a USB disk.
>
> Device {
>   Name = USBDisk2
>   Media Type = File
>   Device Type = File
>   Archive Device = /misc/BACKUP2
>   LabelMedia = yes
>   Random Access = Yes
>   AutomaticMount = yes
>   RemovableMedia = no
>   AlwaysOpen = no
>   RequiresMount = No
> }
>

> --
> Kevin Keane
> Owner
> The NetTech
> Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to
> Think About
>
> Office: 866-642-7116
> http://www.4nettech.com

Thanks for your reply, Kevin. I actually didn't misunderstand the concepts, but John.
What you described is exactly what I have used on my test system. But your right,
bacula doesn't really notice some things. Particularly, when I have the wrong drive
connected, bacula tells me which drive to attach. When I then attach and mount it,
the status of the job doesn't change, it still "waits for appendable volumes". The
only solution I have found so far is to cancel the job and start it again. I'm not
sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's bacula.