Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk basedbackups

2009-04-29 06:07:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Large scale disk basedbackups
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:03:23 +1000

> Similarly, you and I know that you can unplug a USB drive and take it
> off site. But bacula doesn't know that, and assumes that all devices
are
> always available. You can work around these shortcomings with some
> clever scripting and scheduling, but to some extent you will have to
> fight bacula to get it to do what you want.

I use autofs with a great deal of success at one client. Because of the
relatively hostile environment, tape drives have a MTBF of about 2
weeks. Admittedly they were DDS drives which I have come to hate, but
the client has since completely sworn off tape drives forever.

They have a set of 10 disks, and up until recently each disk held 2
'volumes'. We use a very short mount time (fs is unmounted after about 2
seconds of not being used). Never had a failure.

By using autofs, the server mounts the drive in access, which means that
it doesn't matter if bacula or another process wants to access it, the
server mounts it for you and unmounts it when you are finished, so you
don't get bacula trying to unmount it when you actually want to use it.

James