Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-29 11:04:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>, James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 4/29/09, James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> wrote:

> From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
> Subject: RE: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
> To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com, "Henrik Johansen" <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
> >
> > * I use one dir and one sd.
> > * I run seven concurrent backups.
> > * I have separate pool (directory) for each client
> > * Each volume is auto labeled (e.g.
> Full-CLIENT-TIMESTAMP) and used
> once.
>
> I have found that the sd will only access one volume at
> once (despite
> how many concurrent jobs you have allowed), and because I
> am using a
> pool per client and 'use volume once', I only get a
> single backup
> happening at a time. Is this your experience? I went to one
> pool per
> client so I didn't have the 'concurrent
> jobs'+'use volume once' problem
> where two jobs could race.
>
> I have thought about having one sd device per client... is
> that maybe
> what you were referring to?
>
> Thanks
>
> James

James,

  I am not having the problem, when I backups run, it backs up seven clients at
the same time. Did you set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in the Storage section in
bacula-sd.conf?

Here is what I have in bacula-sd.conf Storage section
Storage
{
  Name = backupserv-sd
  SDPort = 9103
  WorkingDirectory = "/backups/working"
  Pid Directory = "/var/run"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 50
}

Here is what I have in Director section for bacula-dir.conf

Director
{
  Name = backupserv-dir
  DIRport = 9101
  QueryFile = "/usr/local/etc/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/backups/working"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 7
  Password = "xxxxxxx"
  Messages = Daemon
  FDConnectTimeout = 5 minutes
}

This is probably an overkill, but I have also set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" in
Storage and Client definition for all client in bacula-dir.conf file.

I had read several posts on bacula mailing lists about Maximum Concurrent Jobs
but could not find a definitive answer so I added the option where ever it was
accepted.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com