Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups

2009-04-28 10:35:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 4/28/09, Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk> wrote:

> From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large scale disk based backups
> To: "Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org>
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
> Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> >Henrik Johansen wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I have some questions regarding disk based backups
> that I hope some of you
> >> could answer for me. I am currently managing 100+
> UNIX systems that are backed
> >> up using a variety of scripts which I really would
> like to replace with something
> >> solid, flexible, scalable and easy to manage.
> >>
> >> Bacula seems to be heavily centralized around tape
> and my head hurts a bit from
> >> trying to figure out how to do efficient disk
> baseed backup for 100+ clients without
> >> shooting myself in the foot :)
> >
> >Why do you conclude it is highly centralized around
> tape?
>
> I am not concluding anything? When going through the manual
> I found that
> a lot was written about tape and less about disk, hence it
> *seems* more
> about tape then disk - at least to me.
>
> >> All our UNIX boxes follow a 3 week rotation with 1
> full backup every week and
> >> incrementals in between but I would like to be
> able to change this on a per client basis.
> >
> >You can.
> >
> >> My plan is to have a redundant pair of directors
> and 3 storage daemons running
> >> off 3 seperat Solaris ZFS backends.
> >
> >What will you do with the two directors?  Will both be
> active?
>
> Depends. I will start with an active / passive
> configuration and go from there.
>
> >> What combo of pools / volumes do people recommend
> ? A pool per client ? A pool per
> >> backup type, eg. full, diff, incr ? Seperate
> volumes per client perhaps ?
> >
> >It depends upon your goals.  Do you want to do
> concurrent backups?  How
> >much data will you be storing at a given time?
>
> Yes, concurrent backups is a must. Well, our UNIX boxes eat
> ~2 TB each week.
>
> >- --
> >Dan Langille
> >
> >BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference :
> http://www.bsdcan.org/
> >PGCon  - The PostgreSQL Conference:
> http://www.pgcon.org/
>
> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
>
> Henrik Johansen
> henrik AT myunix DOT dk

> Register Now & Save for Velocity, the Web Performance
> & Operations
> Conference from O'Reilly Media. Velocity features a
> full day of
> expert-led, hands-on workshops and two days of sessions
> from industry
> leaders in dedicated Performance & Operations tracks.
> Use code vel09scf
> and Save an extra 15% before 5/3.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/velocityconf

I do a disk-to-disk backup of 26 AIX/Linux/Windows systems. Here is how I have
setup bacula:

* I use one dir and one sd.
* I run seven concurrent backups.
* I have separate pool (directory) for each client
* Each volume is auto labeled (e.g. Full-CLIENT-TIMESTAMP) and used once.
* I run full backup on first Friday of month and incremental on other days.
* I retain the backups for three months, I manually delete old jobs with a
script that will remove the backup jobs from the database and also delete files
from the disk, bacula will not remove the files from the disk.
Example:
Month 1 - Full, Incremental backups
Month 2 - Full, Incremental backups
Month 3 - Full, Incremental backups
Before month 4 backups start, the script will delete jobs for Month 1 from the
database and also delete the corresponding files.

I have been running bacula with this setup for almost a year and have had no
problems. My monthly backups use little less than 1TB of disk space. As others
have mentioned in different messages, keep the database and the backup files on
a separate disks (and controllers if possible) otherwise you will have an I/O
bottleneck.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com