Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup problems gone!

2008-11-29 00:48:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup problems gone!
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 00:45:03 -0500
Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>> The main point was: please post here and seek help
>> *before* filing a bug report.
>> http://www.bacula.org/en/?page=bugs is also quite clear
>> on this point.
>>
>> regards.  :)
>>

> And that is all I have done.
 >
> I started this with writing to users.
>
> All help I got was "Yes I have the same problem".
>
> Then I downloaded the source and debugged. Tried and tried to understand what
> the code does. Could not do it with my 20 years of C/C++ work history.
>
> THEN I filed a bug report.

All very true.  Great.  I suggest that waiting slightly longer than you
did is generally a good idea.  A period of < 24 hours isn't best practice.

> As we speak, I'm doing backups with a slightly modified 2.2.28 version, and
> hope to get something out of it.But it's not easy.

Great.  It'll be great to see the patches in the bug report.  But as it
stands now, the bug report is premature. Please, I'm trying to *help*
you *help* us *help* you.  :)

thanks.