Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup problems gone!

2008-11-29 13:14:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DVD backup problems gone!
From: "Jari Fredriksson" <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:12:17 +0200
>> For patches. Tell me about the plan, if you know it.
>>
>> When recycling a DVD media Bacula writes a 0 bytes
>> length label file, and documents that it is how it
>> should be. When mounting a DVD media Bacula tries to
>> read the label file, and complains if it is 0 bytes and
>> has no data.
>>

> Is that the only problem?

No it is not. Its the bug #0001186, the main problem is bug #0001184

> I can think of a workaround for that. I mean delete the
> recycled media
> from bacula. Then blank the media and use it as new media.
>
> John

It was mentioned as an example how hard it is to write patches. I have worked
on the main problem, but did nothing to the mentioned problem as a patch, as
there must be a plan.

There must be a reason a developer has decided to write a zero-length file when
recycling. What is that reason? The mount function does not appreciate that,
but should I patch that then? Which way I go? Indeed that one is not that hard,
but its not the case I was working with.

The bastard is #0001184, why does it not update the last Part to the Catalog?
As I do not work (either) full time with bacula, that remains a mystery to me.

#0001184 says 2.4.x does not update the last part to catalog.

2.2.8 has totally different problems, and I have not currently anything to say
publicly about it (I removed it from disk).

I'm currently downloading everything with svn and will see what happens.

I understand that DVD backup is not important to corporations. But it is a
feature in Bacula, and I went that route as my DDS-drive died I wanted a new
solution without a Lottery win. DVD+RW media is not very cheap, I could have
bought a hard disk with much more capacity then the discs provide, but...